January 22, 2009

Scenario

'You are a 'blind optimist' who believes that by using blogs in your lessons you might afford new learning opportunities for students and perhaps encourage your colleagues to become interested in using Web 2.0 tools. You would like to present 'A Vision for Incorporating Blogging into Lessons' at the first staff meeting of the year. Explain your plan for incorporating blogging. (What do you have in mind and how you will accomplish it?).'

This scenario closely resembles what will most probably happen at one of the schools I work at. It might not be at the very first staff meeting of the year but it will be before the beginning of classes and I will 'advertise' not only blogging but several other web 2.0 tools as well. However, there's one important difference. I'm not a 'blind optimist', just an optimist. I'm sure we will start using some of these tools this year.

Why am I sure? Because I hope I will be able to show my colleagues that we will be using technology with a purpose and not just for its own sake. If I succeed in doing this, they will adopt some of these tools.

Robert stated it so clearly in one of the introductory readings: ' it is vital that the use of Web 2.0 tools should be based on sound pedagogical practices that are designed to help the students meet the intended learning objectives. In general terms, we can say that if technology does not assist learning, it is not worth using.'

Well, now my plan (as I've already said, for incorporating not only blogging but some other web 2.0 tools as well): I'll invite my fellow teachers to visit my blog, this blog, where I will keep a record of the different tools , their possible applications, reflections, videos, links to other blogs, etc. I'm sure this will set the ball rolling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Margaret-TX, USA

I figured out my previous error; I wasn't properly signed in.

Now for the real comment:
I appreciate your focus on spotlighting the learning opportunities of the blog experience first and foremost.

Some of us are at times pegged by our peers as "the one who likes technology," so beginning by emphasizing the shared teaching mission may help to lower the affective filters a bit.

Analía D said...

Way to go, Alice! Optimistic and realistic scenario. Your every word sounds feasible. I'm sure that this blog will provide a wealth of resources and insights to colleagues. Through this enhancing journey, our ways are coming closer and closer. Thanks for sharing seats!
Analia

Mary Di Mónaco said...

Well said, Alicia! Nothing better than a believer to make others believe.
I'm sure that, thanks to you, we'll see more teachers enhancing their lessons in our dear Rosario in the near future.
Hugs,
Mary